Friday, April 26, 2013

Smoke and Mirrors

I believe most Americans wake each day with the intent to be healthier. For some, this means ordering a salad rather than a burger, taking the stairs, cutting back on their sodas for the day, limiting it to only TWO Reese's Peanut Butter Cups from the candy bowl, and getting to the gym to spend some time on the treadmill. To some, this seems like a half-hearted attempt to "be better" --  however, it is important to realize that everyone needs to start somewhere and like I tell our Fit Plate peeps...

"A 1% change each day will add up to being 1/3 better by the end of the month!"

Where I feel sorry for most Americans is that while they are trying to make healthy choices... the load of crap they are fed by the media and "food" manufacturers is undermining their efforts! (yes, "food" is in quotes because most of the time it's not really food... it is manufactured food products.)  The grocery store is as misleading as commercials-- it really pisses me off when I see something advertised to convince you of it's WHOLESOME GOODNESS or how it is soooooooo NATURAL. Well, just keep in mind that pig shit and bugs are natural but we don't eat them.

I digress.

A goal at the Hammontree home is to have as little packaging as possible. Some items need to be packaged otherwise I cannot feasibly enjoy them--- coconut milk, olive oil, ghee, etc.  But sometimes I purchase packaged goods out of convenience... I don't want to fire roast my tomatoes so I trust that Muir Glen (purchased at Whole Food and Natural Grocers) is giving me the highest quality roasted tomato I can buy.  There are other examples but I'll get to the point...

I found an article that everyone should read; it discusses the brands that are assumed to be healthy but are owned by food giants like Kellogg's, ConAgra, Coco-Cola, Cargill and Heinz.  http://bit.ly/11I8z30  While reading the list I was feeling pretty good about myself... like I had really seen through the smoke and mirrors of these food companies and only purchased from the "good guys' ---- then I saw Muir Glen and Larabar listed under General Mills and I felt betrayed.

At the end of the day, I will likely purchase these two products again. The label demonstrates they are good food products AND because I don't have time to fire roast my own tomatoes or always make snack bars from scratch. I'm not making excuses regarding my time... yes, I'm busy and frequently tell people, "You gotta make time for what is important!" Like most people seeking quality food for their families, I gotta drive to three different places to get the items we eat... including a trip to see the Bison Farmer so I know I'm getting grass-fed awesome meat!  So clearly I'm making time for what's important and even though Larabars and Muir Glen are still quality products----- it just makes me mad that I'm putting my money in the pockets of the same idiots that tell people to eat Cheerios to help their heart!

Everyone has their own level of comfort with what they eat and where they get it... and by no means to I expect everyone to be like me... my hope is that everyone takes a second (or two) and in pondering their food purchases asks:
  • Is this a food that will nourish my body?
  • Who or what am I supporting by making this purchase?

Take some time at the store, read the labels, make good choices and for heaven's sake... go to farmer's market!  It's the perfect time of year to visit your local farmer's market and not only purchase delicious nutritious food... but support your local farmers.... instead of the food giants!

Make a 1% change every day... and be aware of where your food is coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment