Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Art of the Compliment

We've all done it.
Someone offers a compliment and the first thing we do is find a way to deflect it.

"Hey, that is a great hoodie!"
"This thing! Oh, it's ancient and has a hole in it."


or...

"Wow, you did such a great job on that workout!"
"Ugh. I tripped up on my jump rope and didn't use enough weight. I suck."


Why do we do this? Maybe we want to sound humble or... perhaps we don't feel like we deserve a compliment. WHY are we so hard on ourselves?

Last night, I had the pleasure of attending Jennipher Walter's book signing at the Athleta Store on the Plaza. Her book, "The Fit Bottomed Girls ANTI-DIET" is a fun read and packed with "10 Minute Quick Fixes" and loads of thought provoking, health-minded ideas which make change seem possible! Jennipher discussed accepting a compliment with a smile and gratitude – no deflecting! Consider responding with a compliment of your own and to ensure it's receive as sincere and genuine – offer some details. For example:

"Nice hoodie"
"Thanks"

or....

"Nice hoodie, that looks so comfy and I love the cool Fit Pit logo on the back!"
"Thanks, it is super comfy! I can tell you like a good workout, maybe you could join me this weekend and tryout the Fit Pit! [shameless plug, I know]

Give it a try. Compliment a friend, co-worker or gym buddy, watch how much they light up and know that you may have made their day. And next time someone lobs a compliment your way, flash a big smile, make eye contact and with sincerity say, "Thanks!"


No comments:

Post a Comment